Friday, January 18, 2013

Using Sizzix Big Shot to Make Felt Flowers

So I bought this machine for one purpose only, to make perfect circles to put on the underside of my flower hair clips.  I am now finding that it has so many more possibilities.  For those of you who don't know, this is a die cut machine and you can buy tons of different dies for it to cut a number of shapes.  I think most people use it for scrapbooking, but I wanted to be able to cut fabric with it.  I also have a Cricut machine that I usually use to cut fabric, but this machine is much more simple and efficient for a number of things.    
I recently bought these Framelits Flower Dies.  I thought I might be able to do some kind of fabric flower with them to attach to a clippie for a hair accessory.  Okay....so that's kind of a lie.  To be honest, they were on sale and I figured, I should definitely buy them!  I would find something to do with them later :)  My husband always says I would buy anything that says "sale"....He might be right ;)
So I decided to use some scrap red felt I had left over from making Santa hats this Christmas.  I started by cutting 5 of the same size flowers.
One of the flowers will be the base and the other four will be the pedals.  You will do the following steps to all four pedals.  

First fold the flower in half.
And then in half again.





Using a needle and thread, stick the needle through the center of the base flower and through the bottom corner of the first pedal.  Be sure to catch all layers of the pedal.  Then...sorry, but I didn't take a pic of this....leave the needle exactly as it is in the picture above and place the next three pedal on the needle.  Spreading them to cover the entire base flower.  Add some extra stitches on each pedal just to be sure that they are secure.  



And here it is. An adorable, fast, felt flower you can add to a pin, clip, headband, purse...the possibilities are endless. 







I decided to add (with hot glue) mine to a lined alligator clip.

So easy...and super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment